Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing 12

There are simply too many of the same things. When I viewed the 4 examples of social media sites, I thought that while they look different, some being easier to navigate, some more colorful, they are much the same. The same stories are featured and voted on as being favored.

Regarding library application, these may be popular, but are they the most accurate, an important standard from a reference point of view. The sources of the information aren't always clear.
If you are quite selective about the topics you want to view, you could possibly be more productive, but I think you would get so inundated with information, you would be at a loss for time to put it to use.
Yes, I read a couple stories that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

I don't think I understand why people seem to want to have input on information, ranking it in popularity. Is it that the world is so impersonal that a vote for a news article on a social web site makes the voter feel like they have some effect on outcomes?


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I think your last comment is exactly right. People want to feel connected in any way that they can, so if they can rank something that gets to the top of the page, they feel a bit validated.

I, too, do not like digg or reddit or any of those sites. I like del.icio.us to save my own links to things and that's it, but I don't want to use digg to rate things. A lot of people do, though, so some of these 23 Things are really just to make you aware. It's good to be aware that some people get their news from these sites and only from these sites. I know people like that, which is scary in one sense, but interesting in another.

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach