Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thing 11 Del.icio.us

This tool seems to be a fine web based organizational tool. I've wished for a way to access my bookmarks away from my home computer, and here it is!

I discussed with a library patron who is familiar with these programs, and we agreed that the concept of the online work processing, photo program and del.icio.us is good, but we shared the concern that private information is available to public view. Yes, they say you can make your submissions private, but we are also told that anything can be hacked.

This type of program seems to fit more with academic libraries, where the opportunity to instruct the user is ready made. In a public library setting, patrons either know what they are doing, or are at a much simpler level of computer use i.e. how to use the mouse, keyboard, etc.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Yes, for some people del.icio.us would be too advanced, but maybe for your own use this would be great! Many times I've had something saved in del.icio.us and I can't remember it's name but I wanted to show a patron so I could easily go there, click on my tags and find what I needed. I find it very valuable for my own use, too.

LeAnn Suchy
CMLE 23 Things Coach